Today I am sharing with you a great recipe I got from the recipe book “ Gâteaux de rêve “ ( Editions Marabout ). I wanted a good old cake with a twist, that’s why I chose the Maple Syrup Cake and let me tell you, I wasn’t disappointed at all ! This is a pretty cake ( God I love pretty cakes ) and it is yummy too, what more could you ask for ?
So here’s the recipe :
You’ll need :
For the maple syrup sponge cakes :
- 85g walnut kernels
- 60g butter, softened
- 85g blond muscovado sugar
- 100ml maple syrup
- 2 medium eggs
- 210g flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 125ml milk
For the maple syrup frosting :
- the white of 3 big eggs
- 85g white sugar
- 45g brown sugar
- 175g butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
Maple syrup sponge cakes :
- Preheat the oven at 175°C
- Place baking paper inside 3 cake molds ( diam. 15 cm ) or inside one mold you’ll use multiple times.
- Grill the nuts in the oven for 10 minutes. Let them cool down.
- Place the butter and the sugar in a bowl. Whip for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is light yellow. Incorporate the maple syrup and whip again. Add eggs, one by one, and whip between each egg.
- In a different bowl, sift the flour, the baking powder and the cinnamon. Chop very thinly the grilled nuts and mix them with the dry ingredients. Incorporate it with the eggs mixture and whip delicately. Add the milk and whip until the mixture is uniform. Divide the dough in three molds.
- Bake from 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool down for 10 minutes then unmold on a railing.
Maple syrup frosting:
- Pour the egg whites and both of the sugars in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of a pan filled with boiling water. Whip constantly with an electric whip until the mixture reaches 65°C ( or all the sugar crystals are melted ). Remove the bowl from the pan.
- Whip again ( still with an electric whip ) to get a firm meringue. Continue until the meringue is cold and thick. ( The meringue should stay still when you move the bowl upside down ) It can take 5 minutes.
- Add slowly the butter. Whip again 3 to 5 minutes. Finally, add the maple syrup and whip one last time, for 1 minute.
Assembling ( the fun part ) :
- Place the first cake on a plate.
- Fill a pastry bag ( with a splined tip ) with frosting. Make big circles on the cake, starting from the side and going slowly close to the middle. ( To make a higher cake, you can add another circle of dough on top of the first one )
- Place the second cake. Repeat.
- Place the last cake.
Hope you liked this recipe as much as I did !